Today, an AC is a standard piece of equipment in nearly all cars and the compressor market is valued at over $8.45 billion. Over the years, we’ve moved towards improved A/C units, with more efficient compressors at their heart – but our devices are still not indestructible.
Knowing how to detect an issue and when you need car AC repair services can save you a lot of trouble and money. We’ll go over the common causes of compressor failure, as well as the maintenance tips to help you keep your unit in superb shape.
Common Causes of Compressor Failure
A faulty air compressor may be the reason your AC isn’t cooling properly, but what causes the compressor to break down? There are numerous issues that can lead to compressor failure, so let’s go over the most common ones;
- Damaged or dirty coils – various particles can collect on the condenser coils making it difficult to expel enough heat from the system. This can lead the compressor to overheat, and eventually, fully stop functioning and be in need of complete replacement.
- Incorrect refrigerant – the refrigerant has to be the right type and at a certain level for the AC to optimally function. Low levels can put more strain on your AC as it has to work harder to pump enough refrigerant, causing it to break down.
- Improper lubrication – your AC system is made up of mechanical parts that will rotate and move. If you lack a proper oil lubricant, this will cause the parts to wear, or excessive heat to build up.
- Contaminants in the system – debris gathering inside the system may cause blockages. Aside from impacting performance, this can lead to compressor failure as it prevents the flow of fluids.
AC Maintenance Tips
Your compressor will always have a limited lifespan but that doesn’t mean that you can’t take preventative measures to make sure it remains functional for as long as possible – here’s how.
- Run the AC often – running your AC for 10 minutes a week will maintain the pressure in the gas chambers and keep the unit functioning properly.
- Keep your windows shut – Keeping the windows open while your A/C is running makes it harder to cool the space and puts more strain on your unit to work harder for even longer than it otherwise would. It may be tempting to open up your windows to let some fresh air in, but you’re better shutting off your A/C before you do so.
- Clean your car – regularly cleaning, dusting, and vacuuming your vehicle can also help keep dirt particles and debris from accumulating in the system.
- Use your AC system in winter – running the AC in the winter can help maintain the components in good shape, prevent them from wasting away, and save you on repair costs down the line. The AC also serves as a humidifier and is a good way to defrost your windshield.
- Have your AC system checked and recharged – it’s better to maintain the health of your AC than to pay for extensive repairs, so check and refreshen your cooling system every 1-2 years.
Car AC Repair Services in Brandon, Florida
No matter whether you need a compressor change, other car AC repairs, or a check-up and performance test – we at Brandon Auto Repair meet you halfway. Our ASE-certified technicians and service advisors can diagnose and repair any issue, leaving you ready to face the Floridian heat with ease and comfort.
Contact us for professional repair and maintenance services to keep your AC, and your entire vehicle, in optimal shape!